|Avoid Electrical Fires at Home||| Print ||
Avoid Electrical Fires at Home
It is estimated that more than 30,000 non-fatal electrical shock accidents occur each year. The National Safety Council estimates that between 600 and 1,000 people die each year from electrocution. Safe Electricity wants you to avoid becoming a part of these statistics.
Create a safer home by making a check for electrical fire and shock hazards:
Circuit breakers/Fuses— Fuses should be properly rated for the circuit they are protecting. If you don’t know the correct rating, have an electrician identify and label the correct size to be used. Always replace a fuse with the same size you are removing. Check that circuit breakers are working properly.
Appliances/Electronics— If an appliance repeatedly blows a fuse, trips a circuit breaker or has given you an electrical shock, immediately unplug it and have it repaired or replaced. Look for cracks or damage in wiring and connectors. Use surge protectors to protect expensive electronics.
Electrical wiring— Wiring defects are a major cause of residential blazes. Check periodically for loose wall receptacles, loose wires, or loose lighting fixtures. Listen for popping or sizzling sounds behind walls. Immediately shut off, then professionally replace light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that spark and flicker.
Service capacity— As you continue to upgrade your home with more lighting, appliances and electronics, your home’s electrical service capacity may become overburdened. If fuses blow or trip frequently, you may need to increase the capacity of your electrical service or add new branch circuits. A qualified, licensed electrician can determine the appropriate service requirements for your home.