|Ball Field Safety||| Print ||
Stay Safe While at the “Ole’ Ball Game”
Playing baseball at the park sounds like a great idea. Your child will get some exercise; learn good sportsmanship, and make new friends. Before playing at the ballpark though, make sure you or your child can spot electrical hazards, which are all too common at ball fields. An electricalaccident could quickly end your fun. One potential concern is the conduit carrying power in lighting standards. In some older construction electrical metallic tubing (EMT) was used. This conduit can become rusted and break apart, especially where it exits concrete. When conduit deteriorates it can pose a shock hazard by exposing wires and or energizing the lighting structure. Even conduit made of PVC can expose wires if it has been damaged from weathering or by things like lawn care equipment.
Electric Panels are also a shock hazard. These panels are exposed to the elements 24/7 and may have deteriorated over the years. This damage can allow water to leak, creating a fire and shock hazard in the panel. Some panels are unlocked, which could tempt a child to explore what is inside.
Older ball fields may not be equipped with GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) protected outlets. GFCIs monitor the flow of electricity, and can shut electricity off before someone is shocked. Safe Electricity has the following advice to avoid electrical accidents at the ballpark:
Now “Play Ball” safely!